Don’t throw your old Android smartphone yet. Here’s how to turn your Android device camera into a CCTV using an app called IP Webcam. Now you can have an Android CCTV!
Basically, it works by broadcasting the image from the Android device camera to a network that can be streamed or viewed from any web browser. Make sure you have the following:
- An Android smartphone with a camera
- A computer or a laptop and
- Of course Wifi network.
Please be reminded that this will work only if you connect both devices; your Android device and your computer to the same Wifi network.
Note: To access the camera from anywhere, you need to activate the Ivideon cloud broadcasting service which is optional.
How to set up and use an Android device camera as a CCTV
The setup process will take place on your Android device and your computer or laptop. See the following step-by-step instruction to set up on both devices.
On Android device:
- Download and install IP Webcam app.
- Run IP Webcam app.
- Under Service Control, select Start server.
- On the video, you will see a URL like this: http://192.168.0.100:8080.
On computer or laptop:
- Connect your computer to the same Wifi network as your Android device.
- Open any web browser.
- In the URL box, enter the URL exactly as you see on the video on your Android device and press Enter.
- Now, you can view or stream the video broadcasted from your Android device camera.
Your Android CCTV is ready. Place the Android device anywhere you want and start watching over your house.
What do you think of this app, isn’t it cool? Let me know in the comment below.