This tutorial will show you how you can turn your Android device camera into a CCTV using an app called IP Webcam. It works by broadcasting the image from the Android device camera to a network which can be streamed or viewed from any web browser or VLC player.
What you need is an Android device with a camera, a computer or a laptop and of course Wifi network. Please be reminded that this will works only if you connect both devices, your Android device and your computer to the same Wifi network.
Note: To access the camera from anywhere, you need to activate Ivideon cloud broadcasting service which is optional.
How to setup use an Android device camera as a CCTV
On your Android device:
- Connect your Android device to the Wifi network.
- On your Android device, open Google Play.
- Search for IP Webcam or click here.
- Download and install IP Webcam to your device.
- Once installed, open IP Webcam app.
- Scroll down until you see Start server under Service Control menu.
- Select Start server to start streaming or broadcasting the video.
- On the video, you will see URL like this:
On your computer or laptop:
- Connect your computer to the same Wifi network as your Android device.
- On your computer, open any web browser.
- In the URL box, type the URL exactly as you see on the video on your Android device.
- Now, you can view or stream the video broadcasted from your Android device camera.
How do you think of this app, isn’t it cool? Let me know in the comment below.