Learn how to fix and resolve an IP address conflict on Windows. IP address conflict happens when two computers on the same LAN network end up with the same IP address.
It can then lead to both computers being unable to connect to the internet. To resolve this issue, other than reboot the router or computer — normal way, here is another simplest method to fix an IP address conflict issue.
There are two types of IP address, it can be either static or dynamic. A static IP address is manually assigned and it never changes. On the other hand, a dynamic IP address is automatically assigned every time your computer connects to the Internet or router and is only temporary.
However, an IP address conflict can happen to both static and dynamic IP address. The common errors you will see when you have an IP address conflict issue are
- “There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network” or
- “This IP address is already in use on the network. Please reconfigure a different IP address.”
The step to fix and resolve an IP address conflict involves two processes. Read the following steps for the detail.
Release and renew IP address
You can proceed with below steps if you still encounter IP address conflict issue even after rebooting your computer or router.
- On your computer, click on Start button, type CMD and click Enter to open Command Prompt.
ipconfig /releaseand press Enter to release the IP address:
- If your computer is using a static IP address, you might get an error message like The operation is failed…. Don’t worry, proceed to the next step
ipconfig /renewand press Enter to renew the IP address:
- After a few seconds, it will display the result and your new IP address will be on the right of IPv4 Address
Re-configure static IP address
- On your computer, click on Start button and open Setting.
- Click on Network & Internet.
- Under Change your network settings, click Change adapter options.
- Right-click on your current network adapter and select Properties.
- In Networking tab, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on the Properties button.
- Check the option for Obtain an IP address automatically to obtain an IP address automatically from a DHCP server.
- or check the option for Use the following IP address if you know what you’re doing, and enter the new IP address
Your IP address conflict issue should be resolved by now.
Let me know if you need my help.