Learn how to delete Sent messages in WhatsApp on Android, iOS and Windows Phone. You can delete any messages you sent to any group or individual chat in your WhatsApp. However, there is a time limit. Keep on reading to find out how.
There is a time when I (how about you?) accidentally or unintentionally send a message to a person or group and later found out it was a mistake. Usually, to cover it up, I’ll send a few messages to make it gone from the screen. I’m pretty sure you did the same things right?
Fortunately, WhatsApp has rolled out a new feature where you can delete the message you just sent. And it only works within the time limit of seven minutes after you send the message. It works either you send the message to a group chat or individual chat.
How to delete Sent messages in WhatsApp
Here is how it goes. You sent a WhatsApp message to someone (or a group), then you realize it was a mistake. When you look at the time you send the message, it was within seven minutes between the time you send and the time you realize it.
- Without wasting any second, tap and hold the message you wanted to delete.
- optionally you can tap more message if you want to delete multiple messages at once.
- Then, tap the trash bin icon at the top of the chat window. You will have two options:
- Delete for Me – delete the message only in your chat
- Delete for Everyone – delete the message in your chat and the recipient chat.
- If successfully delete, the selected message(s) will disappear from your chat and for everyone in your recipients’ chats will be replaced with “This message was deleted“.
- Similarly, if you see “This message was deleted” in a chat, it means that the sender deleted their message for everyone.
However, recipients may see your message before it’s deleted or if the deletion was not successful. And there is no way for you to check because you will not be notified if deleting for everyone was not successful. Unless you get their phone and open their WhatsApp.
Note: In order for messages to be successfully deleted, both you and all your recipient must be using the latest version of WhatsApp for Android, iPhone or Windows Phone.