Learn the easy method on how to copy a list of file names in a folder and paste them as text in Microsoft Excel. With this trick, you will be able to generate a list of file names within the selected directory in Excel Worksheetin a few clicks.
If you have a list of file names and wanted to copy all of the file names into Excel sheet, do it as quick as possible with the following steps. It only requires your Copy and Paste skill, once you remember the steps, you can do it in less than a minute.
See also how to calculate between dates in Excel.
Copy a list of file names and paste as text in Excel
- Open the folder that contains the list of file names you wanted to copy.
- Copy the address — Right-click on the Address Bar and select Copy address as text. Example of the address: C:\Users\User\Documents\Barzrul.com images
- Open any browser, in this example, I will use Chrome.
- In a new tab, right-click on the Address Bar and select Paste and go to open the folder in browser-mode.
- All of your files will be displayed as the image above.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all.
- Press Ctrl + C to copy selected.
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- In a new worksheet, right-click on any empty cell.
- Under Paste options, select Match Destination Formatting (M).
Note: Your list will be ready and divided into their respective columns. If you only need the file names, you can delete the other column.
Let me know in the comment if this trick or method helps you save your time. Don’t forget to share with your friends and colleagues about this post.